Thursday, September 12, 2013

Remembering 9/11

Yesterday was September 11! Yes you read it right, September 11.
Most of you probably don't care about the date, while others know what the date means to them. It changed their life, it even changed the world.

Yes, yesterday was the date of the 911 tragedy when 2 planes (yes you read right, 2 planes!) crashed the World Trade Center in New York. If you really don't know what happened you can search it on google or see yourself the video on youtube, I'm not putting on my blog because it hurts when I see it all over again.
I'm gonna tell you my experience when the tragedy occured 12 years ago. I'm also going to actually give a bit of my perspectives on what happened after the tragedy.

I was 9 at the time having just arrived in the states for about 3 weeks. My family and I, we lived in the state of Florida. I couldn't speak English (just numbers, colors, and how are you). Woked up like any usual day and went to school. The clocked showed around 9 in the morning and there was an announcement from the principal that we had to got to the Cafeteria. So everyone lined up and went straight to the cafeteria just like how the principal instructed. There was 2 TVs in the front of the cafeteria and both were showing the same thing.

As I watched the TV, I saw an airplane crashed a skyscraper. I first thought it was just like a kids program like Ultraman. But then I noticed that everybody was shocked especially the teachers. They started reaching their cellphones and reacted weird. We were told to go home by the principal. I still didn't know what was going on back then. So I was happy to go home early from school.

When I went back home, my big sister was already there. I turned on the TV and every channel was showing the same thing, but this time it as 2 airplanes that crashed into to bulidings.
Mom arrived about 15 minutes after I arrived home, and then she started explaining everything in Bahasa. I started to know what the heck was going on but to be honest I didn't know what it all meant. the next day was a bit different at school because we had to create some cards for something I really don't know about. I realized what it was for the next year.

So I then saw the news and knew that America was going to war with some countries in the middle east. I still didn't know what they wanted in the war at that time. Then came 2003 when I started to know my surroundings and what happened to America after the tragedy. Some people died during the war and there were people from the town where I lived. There were signs everywhere about the soldiers that died in the war. I started respecting soldiers when I meet them (in wal-mart, publix, and so on) and smiled to them too.

I was totally against the war, but I felt what the Americans felt after the 911. It was anger, hatred and they needed to make a point that they are against terrorism and would do anything to stop it. I hated the idea that going to war was the answer to terrorism, but hey who am I just an 11 year old boy at the time.
Many Indonesians hate America because they went to war after the 911, but they didn't know what it felt like losing your LOVED ONES at a tragedy like that. What happens when that happens to Indonesia? Will we not hate the people who does that to us? Think about it!



I'm writing this to also show my deep condolences to my friends who lost their families during the 911 and during the war. I personally will never forget what happened 12 years ago. I learned a lot, I experienced a lot and it definitely gave me a lot perspectives on things that I would never think of. 
We will never forget the day! 




No comments:

Post a Comment